Back On Track

This is my blog to help me get back on track and finally learn to stay there by following a healthy lifestyle.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Body Image

Hi everyone and thanks for your comments regarding me getting back to my WW's goal weight. Now I just have to get rid of another couple of kilo's but seeing as this weeks loss was a "huge" 100 grams I think it may take me a while to actually get there. That leads me to my body image bit. As women ( I don't think any men read my blog) we are so hard on ourselves. I know I am and I do read on other blogs how so often we are dissatisfied with bits of our bodies. Now that I'm almost where I want to be I do feel heaps better and generally think I look pretty OK. That of course is when one stands face on to the mirror or even sideways when I am conscious of standing straight and holding myself in. My body has toned up but there are still bits I would like to improve. Well one really big bit in particular which is my stomach. In clothes it passable but I know it is flabby and no where near washboard flat. Realistically, I know that at 44, 3 kids later and many years of yo yo diets it is not going to improve much more no matter how much more weight I lost. Surgery is the only thing that probably would help it and that is one avenue I am not going down. If money was no object and I didn't have adverse reactions to General anesthetic well that might be different!!!! LOL . have recently become so much more conscious of looking at other slim women's tummies!!! This started after a doctors appointment last week with my really skinny female GP who has been really supportive of my weight loss efforts. She commented how good I looked in my skimpy Summer clothes and instead of just accepting the compliment gracefully ( do we ever?) I of course had to point out the rolls I still have around my middle. She laughed and said that she too had them and in fact most "real' women have them and then she showed me that she actually did. I had never ever noticed, I had always just looked at her and saw this slim woman - the whole woman! I was really shocked but rather encouraged that maybe it wasn't just me that had the rolly bits. So of course now I have turned into quite the voyeur looking at other slim women and checking out whether they too have wobbly bits around their middles and surprise surprise lots of them do. It's just that generally when we look at other women unless you're doing "research" like I am we generally look at the whole picture and don't hone in on one bit. I have to learn to accept compliments gracefully and realise that we are real women and not in fact Terri Hatcher. I mention her because I was stunned this week when I watched Desperate Housewives at how stick thin her arms were, never mind there's not much else either. I thought my arms were toning up nicely until I saw hers!! This time last year I just thought she was slim and gorgeous but now I'm really analyzing her and Nicolette Sheridan. I hate to think what they must have to do to get their bodies that skinny and boy it's role models like them that give us so many unrealistic expectations.
For a fantastic "real" role model check out Sue and her incredible effort today. Now that's one awesome woman!!!!!

8 Comments:

At 5:31 pm, Blogger michelle said...

You are so right with all of this Lesley but gee still wish there was a way to just get rid of those wobbly bits....Lucky we wear clotehs aren't we?

 
At 6:42 am, Blogger Suzy said...

Congrats on being "free" again. That is great.
Yes, the tummy area seems to be a problem for a lot of women (me included). It does get SO stretched during pregnancy. Mine still tends to have its "huge" days, although I am a lot happier with it than I once was.
Like you said, a stick thin, totally flat stomach is totally unrealistic for most "real" women, but we can still be happy!

 
At 8:25 am, Blogger Sue said...

Thanks for the mention. I absolutely agree with your body image comments. We spend so much time thinking about our bodies that we focus way too much on the bits that aren't 'perfect'. We are real women, with real lives. Who wants to be a stick insect anyway!

 
At 8:46 am, Blogger philippa_moore said...

Great post Lesley - I too think that we worry far too much, or rather society puts too much pressure on us, about the parts of our bodies that aren't model perfect. If you ever glance around a shopping centre, beach, or train, you'll see people with all different body types, all different shapes and sizes. We're human, we're here to enjoy life, and the only thing that matters is what we think of ourselves.

Hope you have a great week!

 
At 12:28 pm, Blogger Margaret said...

What a great post. And it is amazing that we look at slim women and see them as a whole and it is only if we really look closely at certain bits that we see they also have rolls, and handles etc.

I was talking to Linda about body image on the weekend and it was the stomach that got the most discussion. And thighs. And I think that as we present ourselves to the world dressed most of the time we should not be so hard on ourselves when we face the naked image.

You are doing so well and after 3 kids to get to your goal is brilliant. Now we just have to join the sit up and crunches brigade to have a hope at pulling the stomach in a little LOL.

Hope you have a great day :D

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Kathryn said...

Great post. I think a lot of the problem is that we only see "perfect" stomachs because anyone with the tiniest bit of flab covers it up (well apart from those young girls who let it all hang out).

I was actually thinking today that the belly is like the holy grail of toning - you can have great legs or a great butt or whatever without having a perfect body but it's like the belly is the last to tone up. Even if you have great abs, you only need a bit of extra body fat and no one can see them.

 
At 9:51 am, Blogger Briony said...

Crikey, I hope you never see my fat wobbly tummy! haha - No way i'll EVER be Terri Hatcher!
Good to remember we're all human though, and it takes more work than i'm willing to put in to stay looking like those girls!
Bri

 
At 1:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always "researching" too, only now I look at real women rather than compare myself to the stars who always seem to look perfect.

Great Post Lesley.

My pc is about to be switched off for up to a month while I move interstate. All the best for the next few weeks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home