Back On Track

This is my blog to help me get back on track and finally learn to stay there by following a healthy lifestyle.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Biggest Loser

Well I don’t know about you guys but I am getting totally hooked on this show and boy it’s frustrating. I am not generally into reality TV. I was an avid watcher of the first series of Big Brother, actually I was really a BB obsessive but after one series I was very over it. I only watched the American version of Biggest Loser for one episode and I thought it crazy and never watched it again but as this one was home grown I thought I would give it a go. I didn’t get as emotional as some of you have mentioned during the first episode. I guess because they all knew exactly what they had signed up for it made me a little sceptical of their shock/ horror etc. Not that I can’t empathise, anyone with weight issues can and I know part of me was oh so grateful that I had never as large as some of those contestants. I am really interested to see what they eat and get a lot more info on their exercise routines. Any tips and new ideas are always welcome but so far we are not seeing much actual factual stuff which is a shame. I did find it really off when 2 of the contestants had to eat the hamburger and chocolate cake on Wednesday. It really brought it home to me that this is primarily a TV show, as if they were really concerned about them losing weight why have that type of thing in their challenges. My frustration is with all the repeating they are doing within each episode. Do Channel 10 really think we are going to forget what happened at the end of each segment so we have to have it rehashed 3 minutes later. I sure hope they do have the first weigh in tonight, the promo’s have been so deceiving with it appearing like there was going to be weigh in’s for the last 2 nights. Having never watched the USA eliminations etc I have no idea what will happen with that side so I will watch with interest next Monday. What I don’t get is how they will (hopefully) lose all this weight within 10 weeks. All the diet literature tells us that we should be aiming for ½ to 1 kilo per week so I don’t know how these people are going to lose tens of kilos in such a short time. It is going to be very interesting and hopefully there will be some very successful people on the show. What will be great is if it does have the effect of inspiring some people to try and lose weight and become healthier. I know I have been trying to ride my exercise bike when I am watching so that’s a big plus!
I got a bargain in the op shop today. I was looking for winter trousers and found a nice pair that looked in very good condition. I was surprised to see they had a $7.50 tag on them which I though a bit on the high side until I saw they still had their original $49.95 store tag on them. Tried them on and aside from being miles too long they were perfect – very happy camper was I.
I’m supposed to be doing housework so I better post this and make a very strong effort not to get stuck here reading blogs. Have a great weekend.

6 Comments:

At 1:27 pm, Blogger Julie's Journey said...

I really liked the US version. I am finding these guys too whingey and the blue team are positively nasty sometimes (I think they need a visit to the room of mirrors). I think (and everyone correct me if Im wrong) they have 10 weeks at the "farm" and then are sent off (the last three people) for so many months to continue the program at home using what they have learnt. Tonight is weigh-in I think or at least I hope.
:o)

 
At 2:30 pm, Blogger Briony said...

I liked the US version too, but it was only on once a week and there was a weigh in every show. Those guys used to lose stacks of weight every week (although I think it was actually shot every 10 days). The last three people left have to go home and prove that they can keep up their exercise/eating for 3 months at home (so the last three would actually be doing that right now) and then at the end they all come back and show how great they look. I'm looking forward to it finishing already, cos i'm over the repeating - it's so annoying.
Speaking of which, did you notice you posted twice. HA HA HA - very apt!!
Have a fantastic weekend!!!!!
Bri

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger Lesley said...

Thanks Bri

Yes that's funny - channel 10 must have been playing with blogger!!!
When I first posted it couldn't connect so I tried it again not realising the original was in cyberspace. I've deleted it now.
Thanks as well for more info as to what happens. A bit more realistic now I understand it's more like a 5 month process.

 
At 10:14 pm, Blogger Margaret said...

I think that, like you, if it encourages people to move more and do some exercise and get on the road to health - then that is a good thing. I just wished they had mentioned at the beginning that these contestants are going to be working out for an amount of time that will be near on impossible to do at home if you work, study, have a family etc, so don't expect the same results. Could you imagine the disappointment someone would have when they only lose 2kgs and were expecting to lose 15kgs!!.

I am enjoying the show but do hope we get a bit more information about what they eat, how long and what type of exercise they do etc.

Have a great week Lesley :D

 
At 12:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lesley,

I'm a WWA user and linked through to your blog. This is what I call dedication! I love watching the Biggest Loser too. I love seeing how their final result makes them feel, to see the difference they have made to their lives as well as their bodies. One beef that I do have with the Aussie version, is that the contestants have put too much focus on the game side of it and winning the money and not on what it will do for their health and wellbeing. I was very disappointed watching the weigh in as the opposing teams weren't happing for the others weighing in and losing weight. They were standing there with ticked off looks on their faces because someone (like them) has just lost 15kg. In the American show, even the opponents cheered for the other team when they had losses. The Aussies should have been cheering and clapping, sharing in the joy, knowing exactly how that person on the scales was feeling instead of being disappointed at their loss. There is too much focus on the game and not the journey. Aaaaahhhh, that's better! And for anyone who is interested, Jillian Michaels has a book out called "Winning by Losing" and it is supposed to be pretty good. She has written it as a result of the show. I'm going to get it next time I am in town.

ShelleyP

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Ails said...

Hi Lesley - I have to admit that I'm hooked on TBL as well! Thanks for stopping my blog and leaving that really nice comment. Glad you made it through the 'essay', bit long but oh well. Love reading what you have achieved so far and congrats on reaching your WW goal weight! Woohoo! Looking forward to reading more! Hope you are having a great weekend, Ails :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home